Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ansgard Thomson



Ansgard Thomson was born in a part of Germany in 1923 that is now Poland. Her first art education classes were in her high school in Germany. Her formal instruction in the arts took placfrom 1980 to 1993 at the University of Alberta. She started using the computer as a media in 1993 and was attracted by the many new programs she found on the internet which allowed her to explore the differences as well as the similarities to the natural way of making art. Her aim was to produce 2D works in the new media without scanning any of her traditional paintings. I pulled her for this week because this set of paintings was all done using Apophysis. I particulary like the golden color one on the left, but the one on the right she has in her living room in Canada as a blown up wall hanging.

3 comments:

  1. I love both images especially the bottom one. Reminds me of a ballet dancer's graceful performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on a digital fine art list serve with Ansgard... she contributes much ans is always supportive of everyone's efforts... nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the second picture in your post. It reminds me of faries or little angels similiar to ones that I have hung in my beautiful baby daughters room. It is very serene. The wings are symbolic of floating away in peace.

    ReplyDelete