Saturday, October 10, 2009

Lisle Drake resides in the Hill Country of Texas. She says that each of her works represents one aspect or another of that magical art. She works with a wide range of media from pen and ink on paper to batik and other techniques on fabric. She also uses the computer as both a tool and medium. Lisle gets most of her ideas through dreams, and that her dreams tend to run in series, sometimes over many years. She says that each time a dream occurs she finds something new in the dream and she spends a lot of time capturing the memories either on paper or working directly in the machine. Her memories fill hundreds of sketch books and computer files, they are the raw material from which her finished works are made. She states
"I work principally with Photoshop, Painter and Illustrator, and my input devices are a high resolution scanner and a Wacom tablet. As I begin work on a new piece I make decisions about which elements are already in my archives and which will have to be created new. If new elements have to be created I might sketch the piece on paper and scan it in, or I might begin working in a Painter or Illustrator file using my Wacom tablet, or I might grab an old digital file and begin manipulating the element directly in Photoshop." This is an art both wondrous and gloriously playful.

I found her explanation of how she creates her art very interesting. It gave me a great idea to start my own dream sketch journal. I love this picture, is it a smile face or two birds looking down at a feather. At first I went right past this picture then I came back to it and examined it slowly and knew it had to be my final piece!

2 comments:

  1. It is a cute piece, thanks Pam. I suppose being able to tap your dreams for inspiration must be a huge boon for people who make their living through creativity. (I rarely remember my own dreams; I have to wonder if that is a result of how I spend my waking hours, or part of the reason? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinating way in which to create artwork. It is interesting how her art reflects her dreams and that she incorporates her unconscious thoughts within her work.

    ReplyDelete