Sunday, August 30, 2009

Biography


Hi All! My name is Amanda Gavagan and this is my fourth Mod at AMC. I live in Guilford and am currently working temp jobs to make my way through school. I graduated with my Associates Degree from Gateway in 2007 and enrolled in the ADP program because it provided a unique experience to working adults who want (and in most cases need) to further their education. I am a Humanities major and plan on getting my Masters in Medieval studies - although I do not know from where yet. In my free time when I don't work or have classes and homework, I am learning German.

I took this class because I have had versions of Adobe Photoshop but never knew how to use them. In this digital day in age with blogs, videos, and personal websites, I think it is important to know how to use photoshop to create images that relate to you and express who you are to whomever is looking. I also think that it can have practical implications when I start teaching in the future. I look forward to the class and have no idea what to expect as I have never taken a class like this before. I'm a little anxious but hopefully, in the end, it will turn out to be a lot of fun.

Note on the picture - I am 26 years old and have dreamed of seeing Cinderella's castle since I was old enough to comprehend what it stands for. I finally got that chance this year and I took about 10 pictures of it just trying to capture the moment forever.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda... That's great that you want to pursue a Masters in Medieval studies and are taking German.... I'm wondering if the goal of seeing Cinderella's castle is related somehow.. :)

    Having a version of photoshop is a big first step.. I would say that being able to use the program is almost a necessity these days...

    Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I've always had a fascination with castles that probably stemmed from the early Disney classics :)
    My fotothing username is soulcrystal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,
    I was 30 years old the first time I saw the "castle" on a trip to Disneyworld with my family. It was fun to finally get to see it person. I took a lot of pictures of it as well...I think that every girl should get an opportunity to channel their inner princess at Cinderella's castle!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    i've had the same dream about that castle!!!! it was very special for me as I lived TOO far from it, but saw a lot on TV. well, I was a little disappointed - the magic was lost when i saw it ;( i hope, you still have the super excitement from seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Iryna. I always dreamed of the castle, and knowing the monumental construction that went into making it, seeing it as an adult put that "real world" tint on it so while I was still excited and thrilled to finally be there, the magic was not.

    ReplyDelete