Sunday, September 13, 2009

Week 4 MOCA assignment








Ernst Brunzlik, born in 1936, lives in Germany and Turkey. He apparently changed careers from a long-time editor in a press agency, to photographer and then to digital artist. His works are playful and full of color. He does both abstract and realistic pieces but seems to always try to engage the viewers' imagination. In researching him, he says, " Colour plays an important role in my pictures because it invokes far-flung associations, creating new picture-worlds for the fantasy of whoever views the images. In the allegedly realistic pictures, I am trying to create a positive tension by collaging the object(s) with a contrasting background. In this manner shifting reality towards fantasy." He creates some nice 3-D type effects with those blurred backgrounds and bright central subjects.

I had much trouble deciding which of his photos to post because I liked so many, but finally selected " Waterworld2" from the MOCA site and "Sanskrit" (the one that looks like flying opals), which I found elsewhere on the Web while trying to find out what software he utilizes (unsuccessful there, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's Photoshop.) What I liked is that some of his pieces made me catch my breath (and as usual, wonder how he does it), but also, just a few made me say, "you know, I bet someone in my class could produce something very similar to that with the tools we already have." If you look at his "Impudence" and "Oktoberfest" you might agree. http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery/autogallery_brunzlik/index.asp?mode=slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment