Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wk 2- MOCA


This week I've chosen an artist whose art I probably wouldn't hang in my home; however, I think that his technique is fascinating. The above image is from John Helgeson. He creates portraits in Photoshop. Believe it or not, he hand draws the portraits using his mouse and an extensive amount of layers. He creates a rough sketch first and works from there. Helgeson says that each peice takes him a substantial amount of time. I've chosen this portarit from his collection because I think its a beautiful piece that highlights subtlties in color. I hope you enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Genese, she is luminous, isn't she, and her eyes just jump right out. It reminds me a little of the Renaissance portraits I viewed during Italian Civ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it would take a long time iff it is all hand drawn...!

    I would rather work directly on paper or canvas if I was to draw from scratch... How does the computer help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, this is fascinating and scary what a computer can do. poor Da Vinci!!!! what masterpiece we would have if lived now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photo is absolutely amazing. His technique reminds me of an artist who would have used pastels on canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The end result is beautiful, but I share the same sentiments as Jerry. What's the benefit of using the computer, when the same can be created by hand. The artists starts off with a rough sketch anyway. You would think if he can create that on the computer, he can do the same by hand. Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete